[Dixielandjazz] More on Ollie

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Tue Apr 15 20:27:25 PDT 2008

More on Ollie
Jeanette Thomas contacted George Probert with  this information and George
called me. Either today or yesterday, Ollie Johnston  passed away. Ollie
Johnston and Frank Thomas were best friends, worked with each  other at Disney
Studios (animation Supervisors) and were two of Walt Disney's  "Nine Old Men." Frank
Thomas was, of course, the original pianist in the  Firehouse Five Plus Two.
I remember, one night when Hal Smith's Frisco  Syncopaters were performing at
the Fullerton Hofbrau, both Frank and Ollie were  there. I think Frank might
have played some piano that  night.
Ollie was the last surviving member of that  elite group that Walt Disney
coined his "Nine Old men." There's even a book  about them. Several years ago,
just days after Frank's memorial at the El  Capitan Theatre, I visited with
Ollie at his home.  He was very kind and  sure remembered a lot of past Disney
animation  information.
Ted Thomas, Frank's son, made a documentary about his  father and Ollie,
called, "FRAND and OLLIE." Ted plays cornet with the New Orleans style jazz band,
"Gremoli." I'm assuming  that  it's still available on DVD, which has some
bonus
material, including the FH5+2 on the Steve Allen  Show and some FH5+2 8MM (?)
home movie footage. Neat!
Jazzily,
Robert  Butler

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)