[Dixielandjazz] Quoted passages in songs - infringement?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 15 07:07:29 PDT 2008

> "PHIL WILKING" <philwilking at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> One of the tunes on Peter Schickele's first P.D.Q. Bach record
> (Vanguard
> Records, the one with the orange jacket front) was the "Quodlibet."
> It was
> two to four very recognizeable bars each of a whole library of big
> band
> standards strung together into one symphonic joke. This was produced
> 40
> years ago, but the royalty for each tune couldn't have been very
> much or
> they couldn't have afforded to use the track on the record.

IMO, that would be a perfect example of the type of "parody" that is
exempt from royalties under Sec 107 of the copyright law and the
doctrine of fair use. I think there would have been no infringement
and/or royalty payable for this type of parody. It pretty much
parallels the controlling Supreme Court case.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband