[Dixielandjazz] Phil Urso R.I.P.

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 10:38:19 PDT 2008

It may be silly to mourn for a man who lived to 82, especially given
what happened to so many of his peers, but I'll definitely miss Phil
Urso.

Phil had more than a brush with the jazz greats -- he was one of them.
He saw what that day's version of "the jazz life" did to his friends
and chose something different for himself.

The Phil that I knew had been out of the limelight for a long time,
but he belonged in it. Even when playing a soprano sax in a pickup
Dixie combo, Phil brought his own approach to the music. He was a
master of the quote. He could -- and regularly did -- work almost any
tune into the one rest of band was playing. He fit comfortably between
the cool sons of Prez and the hold-back-nothing New Yorkers. Phil
brought class and style to any gig he played.

Goodbye, Mr. Urso.