[Dixielandjazz] South Pacific Lives On In Jazz

pj.ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 9 08:38:06 PDT 2008

'South Pacific' Lives On in Jazz>>

    Hi Steve, I can only think that SP had a much greater success in the US
than the UK. Of course it was a tremendous hit but I cannot remember any of
the follow up `Jazzed` stuff making much impression. The fact that I don`t
remember them at all I suppose is indicative .

The whole show was ruined for me by the film with someone called Rosano
Brazzi (I think) who either acted the lead with a dubbed voice or was the
voice I forget which. In any case I considered him, acting or singing to be
absolutely useless. Added to that the pictures of a model of a  PBY Catalina
being swung on a piece of string against a flawless blue sky dotted with
anti aircraft shell bursts which looked suspiciously like clumps of cotton
wool completed my impression that the whole thing was a load of rubbish.

Honey Bun was the best number in the show.

Cheers

Pat