[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans - Chicago - New York Styles of Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 9 08:37:38 PDT 2008

>  JDut953944 at aol.com asked:

> Could someone explain to me the difference between the three?  I
> was  asked
> that question yesterday and I didn't have a clue, except I know that
> N.O.  was
> first.
> Carol, Clarinet

Hi Carol:

Different people will give you different answers. <grin>

These definitions are relevant is because people continually ask that
question. And when someone who doesn't know asks, you can't just say
George Lewis is N.O., Eddie Condon is Chicago, and Phil Napoleon is
NY. Because, while those who are knowledgeable about dixieland styles
might understand that, the questioner will usually not know what the
hell you are talking about. (especially if he/she has only heard
Condon playing with Red McKenzie in a two guitar quartet)

IMO, The best way to answer , if asked via e mail, is to direct the
questioner to

http://www.prjc.org/tjen/styleguide.htm

Or, we might distill what Dave Robinson has written there into a few
sentences the average non-jazz oriented person would understand and
answer that way.

Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband