[Dixielandjazz] Embassy Award to Young American Jazz Virtuoso

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 8 07:44:18 PDT 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 6:49 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> "Judy Eames" <jude at judyeames.co.uk>
>
> We were there and saw the whole thing... where were all of you ? :-)
>
> It's a great festival and the international visitors (British,
> Dutch, Swiss,
> French and US) are given a brilliant  time with trips laid on , even
> a boat
> on the Danube with lovely food and a top band (this year it was
> Budapest's
> Hot Jazz Band who we first saw at Sacto some years ago)  Tony and I
> are in
> the process of doing a write-up for "Just Jazz" magazine.... if
> anyone would
> like a copy, email me off list and we'll send it to you as a Word
> attachment.
>
> It was a great pleasure to meet Jonathon and his family, I have to
> admit we
> didn't believe what people were saying about him (well we are
> British:-) )
> but he is extraordinary.  He even managed to exchange fours with one
> of the
> festival sponsors on gut bucket without blinking !! We've been without
> broadband for a few days but now the line's fixed Tony can put some
> of the
> photos on his website, I'm sure Jonathon will particularly treasure
> the gut
> bucket one:-)

Dear Jude:

Thank you for the eye/ear witness comments about  Jonathan in Hungary.
Thanks also to Tamas for inviting this extraordinary young jazz
violinist to participate in what was his first International Jazz
Festival. Perhaps there is an "Ambassador Jonathan"  in the young
man's future?

The "kid" manages to impress everyone he plays with including; Svend
Asmussen, Dick Hyman, Regina Carter, Bucky Pizzarelli, Les Paul, Mark
O'Conner, the late Johnny Frigo, Andy Stein and a legion of other
jazzers too numerous to mention here.

Jonathan managed to write a blog on his myspace page about his
experiences. Interested folks can see it at:

http://www.myspace.com/jonathanjazz

Also, Jude, I would love a copy of your and Tony's write up

Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband