[Dixielandjazz] .ram to mp3

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 7 12:09:03 PDT 2008

Luis (c: DJML)--
     I'm not sure you can "convert .ram files (red hot jazz) to .mp3".
     The problem is (or in my experience, seems to be) that a ".ram"
file is NOT actually a sound-file: it is just a text-file containing
the web-address of a sound-file.
     Here's what the Real Player website-help has to say:

"Why does RealPlayer attempt to connect to the Internet when I try to
play a RAM file?
      If you attempt to play a RealMedia file that has a .ram
extension and your computer
  is not connected to the Internet, RealPlayer 10 will start and try
to connect your computer
  to the Internet.
      A RAM file is actually a text file that contains information,
such as the address (URL)
  of a RealMedia clip that exists on a server on the Internet. A RAM
file contains instructions
  that direct RealPlayer to the actual location of a music or video
clip on the Internet.
      Before playing a RAM file from your hard disk (or a playlist),
make sure that you have
  connected your computer to the Internet." (http://real.custhelp.com/)

     What you have to have in order to record the music from sites
such as Red Hot Jazz is software that can store on your hard-disk any
sound being played by your computer.  On my Mac I use WireTap
(http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/) and on my IBM PC-clone
i've got (but have never actually used) Total Recorder
(http://www.highcriteria.com/).

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid
**      than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain