[Dixielandjazz] Ernestine Anderson, 80 and still ticking

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 5 06:00:02 PDT 2008

Not Dixieland, but surely OKOM. And Houston Person backing her up.
Say, wasn't he with Ed Polcer and John Cocuzzi in Sacramento for a
concert last month? Damn, wish I'd been there to hear them. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

NY TIMES - April 5, 2008 - by Ben Ratliff
Still Shouting (When She Chooses To)

As she meted out her late set at Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola on Thursday
night, sitting in a chair as she sang blues, ballads and jazz
standards, Ernestine Anderson stayed pretty reserved. There was a
sense of pacing, of holding something back for herself — except for
the three times she stretched out a single syllable and turned it
inside out, went loud and high and remorseless on it.

Ms. Anderson will turn 80 this year, and her career has been as open
to vicissitudes as any long-running jazz singer’s: she toured with
Lionel Hampton in the early 1950s, made some late-start records under
her own name in the late ’50s, relocated to Europe for a few years in
the ’70s and then re-entered the American market with a low-key but
consistent career.

She’s one of the few singers we have left from the Dinah Washington
school and era, and nobody who hears her has to be told why she’s
special. It’s obvious that she’s working with a disappearing musical
language: with reserved, curvaceous phrasing that slows down time, and
passing bits of earthy shouting.

Ms. Anderson is at Dizzy’s this week with a quartet including the
tenor saxophonist Houston Person, who has miles of experience with
singers: he performed with Etta Jones for more than 30 years, winding
his phrases around hers. Ms. Anderson is really a front-and-center
kind of person, but they worked reasonably well together on Thursday,
in well-trod paths like “Day by Day” and “I Let a Song Go Out of My
Heart,” as well as Leon Russell’s “Song for You,” which you tend to
hear more often from soul and pop singers.

The rest of the band, with Lafayette Harris on piano, Chip Jackson on
bass and Jerome Jennings on drums, didn’t tiptoe around her, as bands
often learn to do around singers of her age; they played straight out,
even in places where a more rustling sensitivity would have been
right. But maybe it would also have been slightly pretentious, which
Ms. Anderson never is.