[Dixielandjazz] Pronunciations

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 2 13:56:09 PDT 2008

Pronunciations are in the ear of the beholder. <grin>

I'll never forget my first day of work after joining a major
Corporation when the Chairman of the Board asked me upon introducing
me from the dias at a stockholder meeting.:

"Is it pronounced Bar Bone, or Bar Boni?"

I replied: "Any way YOU want Mr. Chairman."

Broke the place up. After the laughter stopped, I said Bar Boni.

All kinds of great township names in Pennsylvania or Delaware that are
tough to pronounce. Like Uwchland,  Toughkennemonx, Quintynnes,
Boisterre, Hockessin, Charleroi, DuBois, Hokendauqua, and my
favorites, one with no vowels unless you count the Ys, Cynwyd and the
other with all vowels if you count the y, Yoe.

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband