[Dixielandjazz] Jacquet

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 14:54:53 PDT 2008

Well, I still insist the man's name is pronounced "ill-in-noise
JACKet," with the emphasis on the first syllable of his surname. But
y'all can say anything you like. Which reminds me of a story...

Once upon a time, a band from Denver was booked to play a festival in
the remote town of Buena Vista. Now, Colorado residents are generally
pretty savvy about Spanish words, but they got into a heated debate
about how to pronounce the town's name. Some said it was "Bwayne-a
Vees-ta," while a couple of holdouts insisted it was "Byoo-na
Viss-ta."

The argument continued until it came down to the city-slickers versus
the small-towners. Nearing their destination, they pulled into the
first outpost of civilization and asked the owner to please speak the
name of the place. She looked over the group, made her estimate of
their overall intelligence, and then slowly and deliberately said,
"DARE-ee Coo-EEN!"

-- Paul