[Dixielandjazz] Jacquet

Jack Tracy JackTracy26 at msn.com
Tue Apr 1 13:39:33 PDT 2008

  Bruce Stangeland wrote:

  I was born and raised in Joliet, Illinois, 40 miles southwest of Chicago.
  Our town's name is pronounced Joe-Lee-Ette, not Jho-lee-A.
  Out-of-towners would pronounce it Jolly-Ette.

  We would also say "there is no noise in Illinois".

  I had relatives living in nearby Marseilles, IL.
  They pronounced it Mar-SALES. French explorers went through northern Illinois but they didn't leave their language skills or pronunciation preferences.

  I lived in Chicago for some years before moving west, and  recall two interesting pronunciations common there for two of their streets.

  Buena is pronounced Byu-enna  and Goethe is Go-Thee.

  And here in California, near me is the town of Piru. Pronounced Pie-Roo, of course.

  Jack Tracy