[Dixielandjazz] Chicken Dance Revisited

Denny Schreffler dennyschreffler at email.com
Sun Sep 30 17:22:38 PDT 2007

In the album notes for “Q’s Juke Joint” by Quincy Jones, he tells about
being on a polka gig in Seattle with Ray Charles – Yes! a polka gig with
Ray Charles and Quincy Jones – when they were teenagers, and Ray giving
him a bit of advice that he has kept since then – whatever gig you’re on,
do your best; be true to the music.

Since we’re all way hipper than our audiences anyway ;-) why draw any
lines? In the context of most gigs, we’re entertainers, not artists.

A man walks into a bar and sits down beside a gorgeous young woman.

“I’ll give you two dollars to have sex with me,” he says.

“What do you think I am?” she replies, “There’s no way that I’ll have sex
with you.”

He asks again, “Will you have sex with me for a thousand dollars?”

Her reply was the same, “What do you think I am? I will not have sex with
you for any amount of money.”

He goes further. “Listen. I’m a very wealthy man. Money means absolutely
nothing to me. Will you have sex with me for five hundred thousand
dollars?”

“Well,” she stammers, “for five hundred thousand dollars, I will have sex
with you.”

“Good!” says the man. “Now that we both know what you are, let’s start
over and talk about price.”

“He who pays the piper calls the tune,” has become an idiom in business
and other relationships throughout western culture, but it certainly
retains relevancy in its original context.

I once got a $300 (three hundred dollar) tip on a single to play the
theme from the Flintstones!!

Denny Schreffler

Tucson