[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Kovacs - some OKOM some not

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Sun Sep 30 14:19:01 PDT 2007

There's a CD of the music used by Kovacs:
"Ernie Kovacs record collection", Varese Sarabande VSD 5789

"Oriental blues" was a piano solo composed by Jack Newlon, 1934. The tune
does indeed rip off Gershwin's "Rialto Ripples", but then adds a bunch of
other stuff. They reissued the sheet music ca. 1951 with Kovacs' photo on
it.
I was delighted to find it played on a Ray Templin CD...

John Farrell made me a leadsheet from the music. I added the "Kovacsisms",
and will include it in "20s-30s Fake Book".

--Sheik
http://americanmusiccaravan.com