[Dixielandjazz] The OKOM Chicken Dance.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 29 19:48:07 PDT 2007

We never play the "Chicken Dance". Absolutely refuse if asked.

So, what to do at Chadds Ford Elementary School Friday evening at an outdoor
dedication of their new outdoor classroom? The kids specifically requested a
Chicken Dance. Hmmmmm.

Our solution? We played "That's a Plenty" and the kids (5 to 10) got in a
line and marched around in a modified mummers strut, flapping their arms
like chicken wings. They then did it to the next few songs (pure Dixieland)
until it got dark and we ended the program.

Then, it hit me. How many times have we seen old folks flapping their arms
to Dixieland and strutting around? In this case, the Principal led them
around and the old folks joined in.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone