[Dixielandjazz] Tenor sax list

jsbarque at netscape.net jsbarque at netscape.net
Thu Sep 27 06:41:03 PDT 2007

also, has Plas Johnson who did the solo in the Pink Panther Theme been
nominated? A prolific performer/recorder, often a bit outside the OKOM
square. I just learned recently that Plas Johnson did the howling sax
solo on Duane Eddy's R&R hit "Peter Gunn", one of the favourites of my
youth. For that matter, Al Casey who played guitar with Fats Waller and
His Rhythm was also evident on some of Duane Eddy's 1950s recordings
which have a definite jazz feel as a result.

If the list includes major creative and innovative tenor sax players of
the 20th century from OKOM related styles then, Lee Allen from New
Orleans should also be nominated.

best regards

Tony Orr