[Dixielandjazz] Tunes for Funeral

admin at jazzpzazz.co.uk admin at jazzpzazz.co.uk
Sat Sep 22 15:14:45 PDT 2007

Hi All

On 22 Sep 2007 at 17:06, R Shook wrote:

> A friend of mine who died a few years ago planned his own funeral music,
> had his musician friends on board to provide the music, and among the
> songs he chose was "I'll be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You."
> Everyone was smiling on the way out of the funeral.

This was also the case at the funeral of a much loved musician from Birmingham England.
A twentyfive strong marching  band led the procession to the crematorium where the coffin
disappeared behind the curtain to a CD of him singing "I'll see you in my dreams".  He had
asked that the last number by the band would be "I'll be glad when you're dead ....".

AtT another recent funeral I understand - I wan't there myself - that as the coffin
disappeared from view for cremation it was accompanied by a CD of the deceased
clarinetist playing "Smoke gets in your eyes"

Keith Garner
The Five Towns Footwarmers