[Dixielandjazz] Jazz dying

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Sep 25 09:05:11 PDT 2007

The human being wants what it sees.  This is especially true of musical
instruments.  Kids see only three instruments that is the guitar, keyboards
and drums.  When you start a band class it's not unusual for half the group
to want to play drums.

Couple that with the clicker age when everyone wants instant gratification
and the fact that it takes years and years, if ever, to get to a point where
you can sound halfway good on a wind instrument.  This isn't true of drums,
Guitar or keyboards.  Instant sound.

If it weren't for aggressive school band programs there would be no wind
players.  The trend is for schools to cut band programs which if successful
will diminish the pool of wind players and the few drummers that can
actually read music too.  But even so with literally millions of horn
players graduating every year from U.S. High schools they are having almost
no impact on popular music.  At least in the 50's every rock band had to
have a Sax player.

There are a couple of other factors too.  Knowing tunes is becoming a dying
art.  Many of us know literally thousands of tunes or at least hundreds
anyway.  If we heard it we can generally play it and improvise on it.  That
just isn't true today.  I know some very fine players who just don't know
tunes or can play without the spots in front of them.  Improvisation today
is more often than not playing some nonsensical licks to a chord progression
and it helps if you can do it really fast.  Take away the spots and the
written out progression and they are absolutely dead in the water.  The
definition of improvisation has changed.

The final thing that is missing and that is the ability to arrange on the
fly.  I pl;ay with a few guys that it sounds like we have been playing
together all our lives and are reading arrangements.  Maybe I should get out
more but I don't know a single musician under 50 that can do it.

When I started if you didn't know a bunch of tunes and didn't have some
improv skills you just didn't work.  The last word is the key "work".  There
simply isn't any for young wind players.  When I was in H.S. there were at
least six of the kids in band who were pro musicians already.  The last 13
years I taught at a Lutheran Prep school with two very large bands and a
stage band.  In those bands there were some pretty good players over the
years and as far as I know not a single one of them played gigs on anything.

The skill of standing up and playing tunes, doing some improv and making it
sound like an arrangement seems to be a dying art form.  I think it's dying
because it's a skill that you have to learn by doing and without work and a
place to learn it will be gone in 25 years as we die off.
Larry
StL