[Dixielandjazz] Remembering Buddy Matlock

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Tue Sep 25 08:36:59 PDT 2007

The item about electric guitars triggered a memory. Bud Matlock, one of
Matty's kids, was a high school classmate at No. Hollywood in the 40's,
but was not as yet into music. It was while he was serving his two years
in the army and stationed in Japan that he got interested in guitar,
mostly for something to do in the off duty hours in the barracks.
However, when he came home he decided he wanted to pursue it; he had a
few family friends to help him along the way -- George Van Epps, Red
Murphy, Perry Botkin, and others, and he worked hard at learning his
skill. In time he became good enough to begin to get recording calls,
and working with some good L.A. bands. His abililty led to his being a
featured guitarist backing Elenore Powell, early movie musical tap
dancer, who made a comeback in a Las Vegas Revue, Buddy doing solo
backup numbers with her.
Buddy  also passed it on -- taking up teaching as well as playing.
He also got interested in power walking..foor racing without breaking
stride from a walk, and in time competed in events in Europe and the US,
and was a top ten competitor, actually winning a big one in Finland.
I had gotten a contact from Buddy after many years and we continued to
keep in touch. His last post to me was about another upcoming fast
walking event he was training for in Europe. But one night he complained
to his wife about a headache and went to bed. He died in his sleep of a
brain clot, as his wife later informed me.
I remember Buddy  - his always smiling face,  a good humored grin just
like his dad. Fro school on he was a good friend of a lifetime.
He is relatively unknown among most mucians except on the coast, but he
became one of the best of the lot in this time. It is a good time to
remember him and share that memory with others before my own brain cells
signals time to go.
Passing it on is a duty for all those with such information to share.
Those of us who lived it ARE the archives.
Buddy Matlock was one to remember -- a very good player, a very lovely
friend..
Don Ingle