[Dixielandjazz] Tenor Sax Players list

Ed Wise ed at edwisemusician.com
Tue Sep 25 04:05:14 PDT 2007

I wanted to add a living tenor player to the list, based on a live
performance I witnessed in the late 80's:  James Moody (with Tommy
Flanagan on piano, George Mraz on bass and Al Foster on drums) played in
Fort Worth, TX (I was a grad student at North Texas at the time) and
Moody blew me away with his playing.  In particular, he had a linear
approach to Giant Steps that had not one single Coltrane-ish lick in
it...a completely different approach including some descending phrases
down through those tricky changes.  I sat there with my mouth open...I
was really blown away.  Also, Moody is a funny guy....I could have
listened to him do "stand-up" all night!

--
Ed Wise
www.edwisemusician.com