[Dixielandjazz] Desmond, Davern, and the petite differebce

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 14:45:44 PDT 2007

Some time ago I stated that Brubeck was not a jazz player, which
brought up a lot of (unconvincing) protest.
Earlier today I listened to a record I remembered as rather lukewarm -
Dick Wellstood and His Famous Orchestra Featuring Kenny Davern, which
I had bought back in 1981.  It indeed features Kenny Davern (on
soparano sax- those were the Soprano Summit days) - duetting with
Wellstood!
What a treat!
And then it dawned on me: the more I listened to Brubeck with Desmond,
the shallower the records sounded, eventually deteriorating into total
blandness.  This one, on the other hand, reveals something new
everytime I hear it!
Vive la petite difference!
Cheers,
Marek