[Dixielandjazz] Military Instruments

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Mon Sep 24 14:18:08 PDT 2007

Bob Ringwald may be able to correct any misconception I have on this
story, but Dick Cary, the musician and arranger and more, supposedly
left the service after WW II and took his Peck Horn with him. Whether
they let him, or the other musicians, take their horns with them or in
the "confusion" of the mustering out process at that time, pack it in
their bags, I have no idea.

During the time he was in the Army on the east coast Dick went "AWOL" to
play on the Eddie Condon radio show. If anyone has those recordings they
may notice his name was not mentioned on the earlier ones, even when he
played piano or whatever, but once his commanding officer got credit for
allowing him to appear, he was.  Maybe that same officer let him keep
his Peck Horn, or just said nothing.

Are there any other such musicians on the list that knows these kind of
things happened?  My uncle LeRoy was a jazz trombone player with the
Army 164th during  W.W. II in the Pacific, starting with Guadecanal.
Their instruments arrived about 6 months after they did. They worked as
stretcher barriers until they arrived and then of course played in the
regular Army functions as well as for entertaining the troops for years.

Before he got discharged in 45, LeRoy was "held over" by popular demand
(of the Army) for another 6 months or so in Chicago to help welcome the
troops back home.  I know he had a trombone when he came home, but
whether it was the one he had used all those years or one he had left
home, I have no idea. I would like to think the military might have let
him keep his instrument after going through all that!

The military being what it is, this may not have been the case. Do any
of the other list mates have similar experiences or stories from that
era on what happened to all those instruments or if the military
demanded them back?  Not just military marching band instruments, but
the units like Glenn Miller's band. Military dance bands etc.

Zeke Zarchy, and I believe Trigger Albert, are still alive and may know.
How about it Bob?

Mad Dog.