[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Military Saxophones

J. D. Bryce brycejo at comcast.net
Mon Sep 24 01:23:13 PDT 2007

Military Saxophones
----- Original Message -----
From: Ian Boyter
To: brycejo at comcast.net
Cc: Bill Salmond
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 4:53 AM
Subject: Military Saxophones

Hi Jack,

Bill Salmond (in whose band, The Louisiana Ragtime Band, I play sax and clarinet) forwarded your interesting letter about jazz to me.

I think you are right in all of the points you make about the early origins of jazz.

But here's the reason I'm emailing you. My very first sax, which I still have, is marked 'Savannah' and has two octave keys. So it possibly came from the American military bands. I bought it from a man in Granton in Edinburgh in 1959. Granton was once a major port used by the Scottish merchant fleet.

Ian Boyter