[Dixielandjazz] Re "Tunes For Funeral"

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 21 22:36:03 PDT 2007

A lot depends on the character of the deceased.

I once heard of a band leader answering a comment that he didn't call "Oh,
Didn't He Ramble" with "George was not a rambling man!" That may not be the
correct name.

Anyway, during the procession to the cemetary, slow spirituals. "Just A
Little While To Stay Here" (with the verse very slowly), "Just A Closer Walk
With Thee," "Flee As A Bird To The Mountain," "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,"
and "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen" will get you started.

After the interment, the deceased has now definitely gone on to his reward
and is no longer subject to earthly misery, so it's party time. "Ramble," if
it fits, and practically any other upbeat tune which can be done well in the
traditional jazz manner. If the deceased had some favorites (ask his
family), play those.

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.