[Dixielandjazz] Mick Mulligan

Clive Smith scousersmith at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 10:10:44 PDT 2007

Dear Marek - I have to agree with your comments on Burns' take on Mick Mulligan;
SHEER NONSENSE. During the 50's, we had a steady stream of British
bands coming to Liverpool, a time when to gain entrance to a party,
one had to take one's Jazz 78's which was the music we danced to,
exclusively. Mick Mulligan was, IMHO, way ahead of the herd and I
attended Sunday night concerts at The Picton Hall Library whenever
they were in town. Regrettably, I have only one short tape that
includes the band's on stage performance at the Royal Festival of
1950, and then some stuff recorded in 1956. The tape includes Savoy
Blues - Mick plays and holds the sweetest note I have ever heard by a
trumpeter just before the tuba entry to the clarinet solo. (Sorry, not
being a musician, that's the best description I can give). This band's
enthusiasm was totally infectious, and their attack.... wow!
Melly's antics and dress style helped put bums in seats, no doubt but
the music was the real thing. Any idea where I can get hold of more of
Mick's recordings? If you would like me to make a copy of the CD I
have made, please let me know where to send it.
Cheers
Clive Smith