[Dixielandjazz] Vibrato - clarinet

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Sep 21 08:41:27 PDT 2007

Vibrato, no matter how it's done, is such an intimate partner with style and
expression that it's hard to believe that some instruments are prohibited by
some convention from using it.  I understand when you have a section that it
may not work but the clarinet is such a warm instrument and has the
capability of great expression.  The Flute, Oboe and especially the Violin
on the other hand are required to use vibrato in solo passages.

I don't know the history of it but it would be interesting to know what
musical guru came up with the idea and how did he carry enough weight to
forever decree that classical / legitimate clarinet players not use vibrato.

I know of no technical reason why the instrument should not use it.
Larry
St. Louis