[Dixielandjazz] Bechet on clarinet

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 07:00:45 PDT 2007

Hello Larry,
I have no idea about mouthpieces (exept for the vague notion that they exist)
However, I find it very difficult to believe that you could not have
heard Bechet on clarinet - he played it so much, especially on his
American recordings!  A casual look at the Sidney Bechet jazz Classics
on Blue Note (BLP 1201 and 1202) shows him on both clarinet and
soprano on 13 numbers, and on clarinet only on those with Bunk Johnson
(another 4).  Likewise, lots of clarinet on the Victor sessions
(listen to "Blues in Thitds" with Earl Hines!).  Also, he plays both
horns on "Really the Blues" on King Jazz.
Cheers