[Dixielandjazz] There's hope for this music among the young.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 16 09:21:19 PDT 2007

Did a Swing Dance at the old High Street Ballroom (circa 1928) in Pottstown
PA last night for 200+. Mostly young dancers plus a few foxtrotter oldsters
who circumnavigated the floor around the outside edges. The dancers paid $15
each to be there. (Usual charge is $10)

It was interesting to note than when Cindy Leiby, our trombonist, sang
vocals like "They Can't Take That Away From Me", there were quite a few
young girls mouthing the words along with her.

And when I sang "I Want A Little Girl" and "I Can't Get Started", directly
to young ladies, I was astonished to see some of them mouthing the words
back at me, smiling all the while, especially when I updated the lyrics to
include references to Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole
Ritchie and Halle Berry. Yes, the audience included blacks.

Best of all were the "Jam" tunes. This is where the kids form a large circle
on the floor. The band then goes into a 260 beats/min song like Avalon, or
Thats A Plenty and the more experienced dancers strut their stuff. First one
couple gets in the middle, dances for a while, and then they leave and
another couple challenges, and so on. About 12 really great dance couples
vying for small prizes and recognition. Some amazing throws and intricate
steps. The winners were extraordinary.

So don't write off the younger generation just yet. Some of them are quite
hip to OKOM as I'm certain the other bands doing swing dances know well.

Pottstown PA? A small town about 50 miles from Philly. For more info about
the dance organizers and events, see:

http://www.swingkat.com/

Cheers,
Steve Barbone