[Dixielandjazz] Ellington - was scheduling.

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 14:41:24 PDT 2007

Hello Steve, listmates,
The description reminds me of Acker Bilk's concert in Wroclaw (don't
even try to pronounce it - it's ALL different that any approximation
in English), Poland, back in 1954 (could it have been 1953?  I don't
really think so).  The crowd was enthusiastic when the Polish band
started playing, but when Bilk took the stage, pandemonium broke out!
Men's jackets and ladies purses were flyin all over the place - and
that was a few years before the funny waistcoats and the derby hat.
Actually, not only that bilk wasn't "Mr." yet - he was an avocational
musician at the time.  However, it was our first exposure to a western
band; Polish bands, with the possible exception of Melomani, who had
played "underground," was still new - only recently having ceased
being "the product of decadent capitalist culture" and becoming "the
expression of the Negro's struggle for equality."

By the way, the same was happening all over at concerts by Elvis and
other R'n'R stars.
Now to Ellington (haven't changed the subject, after all) - his band
played an even longer version of "Diminuendo & Crescendo in Blue" at
another jazz festival earlier that year.  a great version - but it did
not stir the response the Newport one did

And another thing: I have the "electrinically (dis)enhanced for
stereo" version of the Newport concert.  I somehow remember the
original mono as less noisy (public noise).  Is that true?
Cheers