[Dixielandjazz] schedules!

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Sep 15 01:48:34 PDT 2007

All this talk about schedules makes me very happy that we play club gigs,
private affairs, etc.  The concerts we do do are where we are the featured
band, and in fact usually the "only" band!

Having said that, we do stick to a schedule, but it is "our" schedule.  We
are extreme about starting smack bang on time, and do the required time,
plus a bit.  Concerts here are normally required to be around an hour +.  We
aim for 1 hr 10 min, and are normally off the stage in 1 hr 20 min.  A break
in the middle of a concert is a no-no as it cools things down & breaks the
flow to the ending.  I think going on & on is not on, as it's always good to
leave 'em with a bit of desire for more...as the saying goes!

Run overtime?  If we get into that bit where it looks like the requests for
encores is not going to end, we dedicate a song to the memory of...etc., and
play two, very, very  slow choruses of Mood Indigo. We can then get off the
stage, usually, and people go away feeling pleased.

Jim