[Dixielandjazz] Festival scheduling.

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Fri Sep 14 13:05:43 PDT 2007

Am I the only one that notices that at almost every festival in the US
and some Jazz parties, there is almost always at least one or two groups
that are assigned to play the last set in the evening and the first set
the next day?  Sometimes in the same venue!

This can not be just an accident. Are there any festival schedulers on
the list that can explain this to me or even want to try?  At Jazz
Parties, that seldom start before noon, this is not a big problem
usually.  However, at festivals were the last set finishes after
midnight and the first is at 10 AM, is the turn around time really fair?
I am not aware any bands ask for this scheduling in advance?

Just who ARE the schedulers?  They are often hard to pin down.

Do the schedulers, who may not be musicians, but only long time
volunteers or jazz experts of one kind or another, think the musicians
are going to leave their instruments on stage, and by doing so it will
make the start in the morning easier for them or the sound people?  I
would not think so!  Few musicians would leave their prized instruments
anywhere near a festival stage overnight, unattended  or even in the
often furnished "instrument room".

Schedulers. Pity the poor Sousaphone player who must lug his tuba from
the upper floor of a hotel, in a standard elevator, two times in a few
hours etc.  Just a thought.

Did that happen to Westy at the Sweet and Hot festival on Labor Day
weekend?  I am not sure, but I do remember seeing him doing the dip to
get in the elevator several times. :-) Quite a sight.

Ah sweet mysteries of life!

Mad Dog