[Dixielandjazz] Sticking to the Schedule

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Sep 14 10:56:18 PDT 2007

 > "Stan Brager" <sbrager at socal.rr.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
>> The concept of "sticking to the schedule" is a matter for the festival
>> director to instill in the staff of a festival as well as the performers.
>> In
>> the Hangover Club venue at the Sweet 'n' Hot festival, all the leaders
>> are
>> aware of the schedule and generally have little problem with that
>> concept.
>> There are, of course, occasions in which the demands of the schedule must
>> be
>> enforced.

Steve Barbone adds:

> Right on Stan.
>
> What amazes me is that more venues with multiple stages, and/or multiple
> bands on one stage, and/or the same band with multiple sets on one stage,
> have not yet figured out how to control the schedule.
>
> It can be done quite simply by assigning a "Stage Manager" to each stage.
>
> Examples:
>
> 1) Du Pont's 200th anniversary. We played 5 sets on the same stage as did
> 5
> other bands on their stages, at the same times. (50 acre outdoor venue,
> 22,000 employee attendees) Sets were 45 on and 15 off, from Noon to 4:45
> PM.
> Our stage manager, lovely young girl employed by the event manager, made
> sure we stuck to the schedule by cueing us at the 5 minutes to go interval
> while playing and while on break.
>
> 2) West Chester Music Festival. Twelve Bands, one set each. 2 stages next
> each other, one playing and one setting up. Continuous music, 45 minute
> sets. Stage one plays while stage two sets up and when stage one stops,
> stage two starts immediately. One stage manager handles it all, as does
> one
> sound crew.
>
> 3) Red Sea Jazz Festival Israel. Five stages. 3 bands play one 90 minute
> set
> on each stage. 30 minute break for set up and to clear audience for nest
> set
> which has a separate admission charge. Audiences from 500 to 3500 people
> per
> stage. Each stage had a separate stage manager who made sure the sets
> started and ended on time. Our stage manager. Yael, was a lovely young
> lady,
> 22 years old, and she ran our stage like a pro.
(snip)

 Bob Ringwald adds:

At the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee, we  have over 100 bands with 33 stages going
from 10:00 AM to aprox 11:00 PM for 3 days and 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM on
Mondays.

The times in 34 years that we have had trouble with bands going overtime
could be counted on one hand.

The bands are very conscientious.  They know that if they play overtime, it
takes time away from the next band.  With that many stages and bands, the
schedule must be kept.

Someone is given the job to warn the bands when they have 10-minutes.  It
all works like clockwork.

--Bob Ringwald