[Dixielandjazz] Sound

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Fri Sep 14 00:11:33 PDT 2007

Mad Dawg wrote:

  > Bob may recall the problems Roger Drum had in getting enough

 >> bands to play acoustically for even 2 days in a venue at the Red
Lion Inn
 >> in Sacramento during one of the Jubilee's.

Roger Krum, not Drum.

Leave it to Bob to find a typo my spell checker could not tell. Yes, he
has told me how to proof read. He tells me a lot of things, but I don't
listen to all of them. :-)

Of course, the one and only Roger Krum.  Sorry  Roger if you are out
there.  Most leave the C out of my last name, but I only occasionally
make a complaint abut it.

Mad Dawg continues:

 >> Bob says:
 >>   I have seen bands standing around
 >> and starting 15 minutes late because the sound men are not ready.
 >>
 >> snip
 >>
 >> This usually only occurs if a musician or musicians in the previous set
 >> have played overtime on their set and the sound people do not have
enough
 >> time to set up properly before the scheduled start of the next set.

(snip)

  No.  This most often happens if the band is the first one of the day.

snip

You never mentioned that in your original post. I have only seen this
occur myself once, with a professional sound team that has to have
everything correct to both the bands and their satisfaction before
starting.  They are professional grade.

Like the event I believe I mentioned, in a state other then Ca., where I
watched a professional sound team with at least 12 members, 4 on walkie
talkies, prepare for the first set of the third day of a festival for a
7 piece trad band (2 clarinets.).

I started watching them about 45 minutes before the scheduled start time
of the set. The Band was on stage 10 minutes before the scheduled start
time of the  set, ready to go as far as I could tell. Just standing by
the mikes waiting for the go signal. They finally got it 10-15 minutes
into the start time for the hour set. One hour setup time. WOW!

I was not impressed. As I said. I am expected to do that myself in 15
minutes, and usually do, with at most the help of Stan Brager as he
mentioned in a previous post.

Lighten up on the volunteers Bob.

bob says:
For
some reason, the sound men know when the band is supposed to start but just
can't get their shi* together to have the sound ready at start time.

--Bob Ringwald

Must be a lot of factors we don't know about Bob.  Anyone out there have
a clue what they are?

Mad Dog