[Dixielandjazz] West End Blues "cadenza"

tduncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Thu Sep 13 05:44:21 PDT 2007

Anton is correct in picking this out and another possible misapplication of
a musical term by traditional jazz adherents is the use of the word "fugue"
to describe a "rhythm out, horns only, polyphonic section or chorus during a
tune." When our cornet player with a doctorate in music bridled at the use
of this term, I changed my call to "chaconne, fugue, call it what you will."
It still works.

Also, our much-maligned banjo player once referred to "playing a credenza."
He has never been allowed to forget this and we now always play a
"credenza". Another variation on the term . . . Jack Teagarden announces on
Basin Street Blues that he is "going to take a trambone coda."

Regards,

Tom Duncan
Doctor Dubious and the Agnostics
PO Box 2118      Teaneck, NJ 07666
P   (201)836-6076     FAX   (201)833-4143
www.doctordubious.com