[Dixielandjazz] West End Blues Armstrong Cadenza

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 12 18:15:43 PDT 2007

Dear Bill & Listmates:

Thanks Bill for your usual historical accuracy.

Bob Romans, tell your TPIN contact that he was indeed misinformed.

Small wonder I never heard Oliver's West End Blues cadenza. I had at one
time, and listened extensively to, just about everything Oliver did. And I
tried unsuccessfully to find it on the internet. I knew Metcalf did it, but
half a year after Louis did. That version pales in comparison. Apparently
Oliver never played the cadenza and given what Louis did with it, I don't
blame him.

The Louis cadenza is pure genius and not duplicated, as far as I know, by
anyone else yet, though many have tried.

Paul Grant, our black trumpet player, who played it 8 times a week in the
Stage play, "The Louis Armstrong Story, West End Blues", in Philadelphia and
New York told us it was the most difficult piece of music he ever attempted
to play correctly. (E.G., As a copy of Louis's original) He said he never
got it with the fire, feel, timing and syncopation of Louis though he tried
mightily. The cadenza was the audition piece for the show and a lot of
excellent trumpet players from Boston to Washington DC were humbled by it.

I heard Paul in Philly and thought the cadenza sounded great even though
there was a cracked note. When he left the show, the producer was devastated
because he felt there was no one else available in the Northeast US who
could do it as well as Paul.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone