[Dixielandjazz] West End Blues (was Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 26)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 12 16:27:56 PDT 2007

Dear Bob and Mop
I'm a little confused, which is not hard at my age.
Bob said, then asked: " It has been my understanding that Joe "King"
Oliver recorded (and composed) that cadenza before Louis made his own
recording of it. Have I been misinformed?"
Mr Mop replies: "No Bob, you are correct. And Oliver's version is
amazing given that he didn't have nearly the chops Louis did."
Later Steve Barbone said: "I've never heard Oliver's cadenza. Is it
anywhere near as fantastic as
what Louis did?"
OK then.
1.  King Oliver composed "West End Blues" and recorded it for Vocalion
on 11 June 1928. No cadenza.
2.  Louis Armstrong recorded it several weeks later for Okeh on 28 June
1928 with a (his) cadenza.
3.  Ethel Waters recorded it, with Clarence Williams at the piano, for
Columbia on 28 Aug 1928, by which time words by Clarence Williams had
been added.
4. Hazel Smith recorded it for Okeh on 29 Aug 1928 with Oliver on
cornet. No cadenza.
5.  Katherine Henderson recorded it for QRS in Sept 1928 with Ed Allen,
cornet. No cadenza.
6.  King Oliver rerecorded it for Victor on 16 Jan 1929 with the
cadenza (played by Louis Metcalf).
I have all the above and have just replayed them.
Therefore:
Louis owns that introductory cadenza.
There is no Oliver cadenza on his original version. Louis added it for
his recording.
The simplified cadenza played on the second (later) Oliver recording
was not played by King Oliver.
Kind regards,
Bill.