[Dixielandjazz] Problem at wedding gig, continued.

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Wed Sep 12 10:02:07 PDT 2007

ELAZAR WROTE:
Message: 8
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:58:59 +0200
From: "Ministry of Jazz" <jazzmin at actcom.net.il>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Problem at wedding gig, continued.
[excerpt]
<< ... last week's wedding reception where my friend's keyboard
<< was rendered inoperative because he forgot the power supply...

Dear Elazar,

You have very neatly summarized what caused the <problem at wedding gig.>
(He forgot the power supply.) In addition to the fact that you went out of
your way to include this friend in the gig, you then had to take the blame
and consequences (a cut in pay) for the actions of your friend, who only
gave you grief about it rather than humbly accept responsibility for his own
error. You are a very patient and forgiving friend. That can make it
difficult to be a boss.

I am happy to hear that the groom and wedding party were pleased with your
work, and I'm happy you are still friends with the keyboardist. Still, I
would seriously think twice before hiring him again (if you value the
friendship).

Yet another example of why the gig boss should be paid more than the
musicians. I know many list mates have their (horror) stories about being in
charge.

Love and hugs,
and Shalom for the High Holy Days,
Nancy