[Dixielandjazz] More Stupid Sound Tricks

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Sep 11 11:33:26 PDT 2007

Years ago, probably in the first few years of the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee,
we had Conrad Janis and his Beverly Hills Unlisted Jazz Band.  At that time,
the actor George Segal was playing banjo with them.

At a outdoor venue, one of the large ones, the sound man had George turned
up so loud that he was over-shadowing the rest of the instruments.

I went up and talked to him and suggested he turn down the banjo to be
better balanced with the rest of the band.

His comment was, the people came to hear George.

Yup, they sure wanted to hear George going "chunk chunk chunkity chunk"
instead of a well-balance (sound-wise) band.

As you can probably tell by now, I have a million of these horror stories.
It just goes on and on.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell