[Dixielandjazz] Sound

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Sep 11 10:54:37 PDT 2007

So often sound is not needed at a venue.  I have seen bands standing around
and starting 15 minutes late because the sound men are not ready.

In truth, if the band would have played without the sound system, they would
have sounded much better.

We recently did a Library concert in a hot (sound-wise) room.  I used one
mic for singing and talking to the audience.  Other than that, we played
completely acoustic.  There were 300 people in the audience.

During the concert, when I pointed out to the audience that we were totally
acoustic, we got a big round of applause.  The audience loved hearing us
with a natural sound instead of through a P.A. which we obviously did not
need.

So often this is the case but even a lot of bands don't realize it.

At a Sacramento Jazz Jubilee about 15-years ago, a band from Sweden were
performing in a tent.  The sound was so loud that even though I could not go
into the tent, I could not get within 50-feet of the tent opening.

When I talked to the sound man about it, he said that the band insisted on
having the sound that loud.

Totally ridiculous...

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
530/642-9551