[Dixielandjazz] Sound men...speaking of...

Bill Allen ballen at deltapathology.com
Tue Sep 11 08:05:33 PDT 2007

Not only did they HEAR orations back then in such conditions, they SAT STILL
AND LISTENED, when it was not uncommon for a speech/oration/sermon to pass
the hour mark.

Of course, another difference is that people knew how to use their voices.
Pop singers sing in ranges that would  not have been heard without
amplification; for example, women singing in the very lowest parts of their
ranges as on much pop music would have never been heard. And some male rock
and roll singers are actually whispering into a real hot mike in the studio.
I have a gentleman at my church who LOVES bass singers a la Oak Ridge Boys;
he doesn't realize that almost ANY male singer can get that resonate booming
bass if they put the mike right up to their mouth and croak it out; the rest
is soundboard magic.