[Dixielandjazz] more sound man sounding off 2

GWW174 at aol.com GWW174 at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 21:08:27 PDT 2007

Reading some of the posts/replys eminds me that....

Every musician is loved by someone..... every band is loved by someone....

and that someone often winds up in the back of the house "helping the sound
tech" do a good job.  Can't cound on all the fingers and toes of the sound crew
how often we hear.... "I can't hear so and so (usually hter spouse of
'special friend).... please raise the level/volume..... Once the gig starts EVERYONE
becomse an expert in audio engineering.

We have developed rule number 2-B... ask the leader BEFORE the set starts if
the band has a managfer or spokesperson who is musically inclined and is
familiar with the sound or mix the band likes.  Hopefully this is also someone who
can decipher the frowns... hand signals...mutterings...  or discomfort of the
band members during their set

Even that does not help... several years ago we had a set with "Peces of
Eight" - six or seven pieces of high energy self-amplified instruments with R&B
music.  In a large ballroom with the house system muted they were easily in the
95-105 DB SPL range and we had numerous complaints about it being "too
loud"... no wonder but there is nothing the sound tech can do if the system is OFF.

Been thinking of preparing a "sound primer for musicians"... short and sweet
with just a hint of theory - much of which is already familiar to musicians
who double as their sound tech.  Feel free to send some topics or ideas to
_gww174 at aol.com_ (mailto:gww174 at aol.com)

Gordon of Northridge..