[Dixielandjazz] More from the Alternate Lyrics dept

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Sep 9 08:05:23 PDT 2007

Bill,

that parody lyric was written in the late 1950s by Dick Sherman and
Milt Larsen, and the
album was titled "Smash Flops."  I have a copy and I will check out
the tune they used as soon as my turntable is out of storage. I am
pretty sure it is "Grey Bonnet."
(I think the transcription  at http://tmazanec1.xepher.net/
smashflops.html is slightly wrong - that is why the meter is off on
some lines.)

There are not too many other surviving pop songs about Abe Lincoln
that I know of (but I am sure there were a lot of pro and anti
Lincoln songs written during his lifetime!)
Dave Richoux