[Dixielandjazz] sound gripes

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 8 17:09:21 PDT 2007

eupher dude wrote at the beginning of his excellent and informative
piece:
> As a musician and erstwhile sound tech, I get totally pissed at almost
> every gig where a "professional" sound guy is working.
> steve "been on both sides, love both sides" hoog

Dear Steve,
To Australian, British, Irish and some English-speaking Europeans that
means that you get quite drunk.
8>)
But we do know what you mean.
And thanks for the information contained in the last part of the
paragraph "DO NOT use SM-58s for horns -- they are VOCAL mics, with an
intentional "proximity effect", which increases bass response as the
mic is closer to the source.  Thus, pop singers eating the mic."
I've been wondering for some time now what this 'new trend' was all
about, as it seems to be intentional and is universal.
Kind regards,
Bill.