[Dixielandjazz] Composer of "Put 'em Down Blues"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 6 02:36:54 PDT 2007

My mate, Phil O'Rourke wrote [in part]:
> It was composed by E Bennett. Maybe Bill H has more info on this
> person.

Dear Phil and Bruce Strangeland,
Unfortunately, I can add very little more.
The original Okeh 8503 label of "Put 'em Down Blues" gives the composer
credit to (Armstrong).
However, the ASCAP site has no information on the tune, nor does it
list it with compositions by Lil or Louis.
The next recording of the tune was made 30 years later, to the month,
by Eddie Condon's All Stars on 24 Sept 1957.
Coincidence?
Composer credit is given to EJ Bennett (as does several reissues over
the years of the Hot Five version), so someone along the line has
checked out the Library of Congress copyright files.
Our best bet for discovering more about the copyright date and other
details will be hands-on DJMLer, composer-researcher extraordinaire,
Dick Baker.
Kind regards,
Bill.