[Dixielandjazz] Metal Clarinets

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Sep 3 16:00:34 PDT 2007

The only metal clarinets that I ever saw were Boehm system.  The biggest
problem with the metal clarinets was by the time I got my hands on one, they
were pretty used up as instruments with screws frozen and other ills.  I did
have one, years ago, that was a pretty good instrument and played well in
tune and sounded pretty good.

Many of them were stencil horns sold to music stores with the store brand on
them.  I remember seeing Huneleth horns around.  Huneleth's was a popular
StL music store up until the mid 60's.

I have one that I was going to use in parades.  I was in the Shriner drum
and bugle corps for a short time and I wanted to clip it on my belt while
parading.  I played harmony parts on the bugle and was the only harmony in
their group.  At the end of parades they would serenade the fans with some
Dixie tunes and I thought it would be cool to play clarinet.  But alas the
idea of marching in parades got the best of me and good sense reigned.  I
still have it but it is in sad shape.  Since I can't play clarinet any more
it's unlikely that I will spend the money getting it repaired.

Metal clarinets were the student model before plastic became popular or
existed for that matter (30's-40's).  They were used for outdoor playing
instead of, the more costly and easily damaged by weather, wood clarinets.

They weren't for the most part bad but they weren't good either and some
were just junk but as I said there were some that weren't too bad.  Did they
sound comparable to a pro model wood?  No way but they were OK for what they
were designed for.  My first school (62) owned about 20 of them.

If you want one ask around at the music stores.  They just might have one
laying around that they will give you.  That's how I got the one I have or
check E-bay.  I would doubt if one would cost very much.
Larry
StL