[Dixielandjazz] The art of recording

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 15:26:21 PDT 2007

Hello Mattias,
You say "I'm specifically thinking of Louis Armstrong's recording of
Atlanta Blues on his W.C. Handy album from the fifties, where he first
plays a trumpet obligato behind his own singing, and then sings a duet
with himself! Does this make it bad
music? I don't think so..."
Well, "Atlanta Blues" is not the only spliced tune on that record (how
about "St. Louis Blues," to my ears - the best I've ever heard);
however, Armstrong was Armstrong ewas Armstrong, full stop.  And,
still, I, for one, as a listener, would have preferred to hear all the
separate takes.
Support live jazz!
Cheers,
Marek