[Dixielandjazz] Goldenrod going up in smoke soon

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Wed Oct 31 12:05:33 PDT 2007

We got word yesterday from Tom Bartlett that the present owners of the
Goldenrod Showboat plan to hold a "cash and carry" auction in a few weeks,
selling off all the antiques inside, and then dismantle the outer steel
hull, sell it for scrap, and then burn the rest of her to the ground to
recover the copper wire. This is to happen as soon as they receive clear
title to the boat.

The Goldenrod is at the present time half beached on riverfront property
along the Illinois in Kampsville. Not in good shape.

I have included a short article on the Goldenrod in my next issue of Jazz Me
News, scheduled to go out tomorrow morning, but I would like to have a photo
of someone aboard her with a horn in his chops during the heyday of the
National Ragtime Festival held aboard her from 1972-85.

If you have such a photo handy and can scan it, and there are no copyright
issues, please email to me at

mophandl at landing.com

ASAP. I will credit you in JMN.

Thanks in advance,

Don Mopsick, Riverwalk Webmaster and Jazz Me News Writer/Editor

mopo