[Dixielandjazz] It's my job....

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Oct 31 02:43:55 PDT 2007

"if you can hear what I've done on the recording, then I haven't done it
well"!

I said it, & will say it over & over.

My job is to get the recording out there using the best of my knowledge.  It
will sound like the performance, but imperfections from the recording
process should no longer be heard.  Room deficiencies should no longer be
heard, and I will shave off that bassoon that happened to enter a milisecond
earlier than the others with no concern about destroying the performance.  I
will even go as far as looking to another take for a cleaner breath intake
before a singer starts if there is a lot of saliva sound in the take being
used.  In fact, subtleties like that take up the majority of the approx 35
hours normally used to assemble a multiple take recording & mix/master it.
(That's "take", not track!)

None of this will be heard as I know how to do all of this.  And, I have
received world wide awards for such things, particularly in my efforts in
Barroque music & Gregorian Chants.

I give the same attention to jazz records, but not in such minute detail.  I
will, however, enhance & even chop if I think the overall recording will
benefit.  I believe I have the experience to know when that should or should
not be done.

Jim