[Dixielandjazz] Enjoying Jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 30 14:37:31 PDT 2007

"Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote

Steve wrote (at the end of a long tirade!):
>> IMO: There is a huge untapped demand for tuneful music out there. No doubt
>> other bands experience that latent appreciation also when playing to the
>> great masses of jazz oblivious people out there.

> Jim wrote:
> That is so true! There is a huge interest when the "masses" hear "our"
> music.  We have a different situation, naturally, in Europe, and don't have
> to fight so hard to be heard.  But, the fact remains when people, not jazz
> fans but just people, hear OKOM...they love it.
>
> Here it is assumed that you must be an intellectual to understand Jazz, and
> it's a shocker to a lot of people that they can just tap their feet & smile
> to have a good time with the music we play.  It's enjoyable to see the light
> come on in their faces.
>
> Of course, we don't sit down in chairs on stage, or hide behind music
> stands.  We're "right with the audience", and they can't help but get
> involved.

Tirade? You should hear me when I'm really in a tirade mood.  <grin>

Glad we agree otherwise. Actually in the USA, if bands pick their spots and
present an upbeat program like you do, they get the same results with the
audience. One point though, at my age, I have to use a 30" stool part of the
time on stage, as does the bass player (77), and the guitarist (70) sits.

Those of us who go after the younger audiences find it isn't much of a fight
at all to get heard. That was really the point of the post. It is simply
band marketing 101. Musicians have free choice in the matter. Market and get
heard or become victims of our own negativity, don't get heard and curse all
those dark forces that prevent us from the recognition we richly deserve.

Like Dr. Phil says, if we don't recognize the problem, we can't solve it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone