[Dixielandjazz] Enjoying jazz

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Oct 30 11:12:37 PDT 2007

Steve wrote (at the end of a long tirade!):
>IMO: There is a huge untapped demand for tuneful music out there. No doubt
other bands experience that latent appreciation also when playing to the
great masses of jazz oblivious people out there.

That is so true! There is a huge interest when the "masses" hear "our"
music.  We have a different situation, naturally, in Europe, and don't have
to fight so hard to be heard.  But, the fact remains when people, not jazz
fans but just people, hear OKOM...they love it.

Here it is assumed that you must be an intellectual to understand Jazz, and
it's a shocker to a lot of people that they can just tap their feet & smile
to have a good time with the music we play.  It's enjoyable to see the light
come on in their faces.

Of course, we don't sit down in chairs on stage, or hide behind music
stands.  We're "right with the audience", and they can't help but get
involved.

Jim