[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Clubs

loerchen2 at aol.com loerchen2 at aol.com
Mon Oct 29 11:38:53 PDT 2007

Steve and list,

Most of those N.O. clubs are still active, but only a few of them have traditional jazz,
and even then, not necessarily on a regular basis.  Some of the modern stuff isn't bad
though, and there are a few bands that play interesting stuff that isn't quite jazz, but
has some blues, folk, or Cajun influence.
\

You can sometimes catch Banu Gibson or Tim Laughlin at the Bombay Club; maybe
once every couple of months.  Maison Bourbon has some good musicians, if you want to
brave Bourbon Street.  The Polo Lounge and the club at Harrah's Hotel used to have
some good music, but I haven't heard any of my friends mention playing there since last spring.
The Spotted Cat has an interesting range of music; it's very tiny, so get there early to get a seat.
Fritzel's only has their house band (except during festivals), so I don't go there any more.
Snug Harbor, d.b.a., and Donna's have traditional jazz, but you're just as likely to find modern
jazz--you have to look in OffBeat to make sure of the schedule.  A visitor's best bet is still
the Palm Court, which consistently has live traditional jazz Wed.-Sun.

\

And I like Phil's idea of having a jazz cooperative -- but I don't know any musicians who have
enough spare money to even start to rent and operate a club, let alone keep it running long
enough to build a clientele.  I've seen several ventures fail within a month because they just
didn't have enough investment capital.  But if it looks like it would actually happen, I'll
throw in my entire $100 savings...

\

Sue

Message: 12